Pages

"Worship is man's full reason for existence. Worship is why we are born and why we are born again." A.W. Tozer

Thursday, March 31, 2011

Awakening by Stovall Weems

Awakening by Stovall Weems is a book that is going to challenge you. It has definitely challenged me. Stovall begins the book with this statement, "How close do you feel to God? Most of us sense that there's more to a relationship with God than what we currently are experiencing. But how do we develop a more intimate bond with Him? This deepening friendship begins what what I call an awakening. After an awakening, life is never the same." According to dictionary.com, an awakening is an act and it's a revival of interest or attention to something. From the book, what's great about this is that it's not a one time event and then things go back to the way they were. This awakening spurs on a lasting, deepening relationship with God. If you're looking for an exact "this is what an awakening is" definition, you won't find it. Now, the ultimate awakening is coming to faith in Jesus Christ for the first time, but for a lot of us we may need a reawakening. Throughout the book, Stovall shares his story and where the Lord has lead him. I believe what Stovall wants us to experience is the power of God in our own lives. He has made each one of us unlike any other, so an awakening for me will most likely look different than your awakening. He does focus on a couple elements that I believe are important for seeking an awakening and that these are important for everyone. These aren't just for an awakening experience, but elements for a lasting relationship with God. These are an authentic passion for Him, rediscovering the grace of God, prayer, and fasting. I'm better at some of these more than others, but from reading this book, I'm challenged to go deeper in my relationship with God. This book may have been part of my reawakening. As I was reading and evening when I first heard about the title of the book, my mind went to Chris Tomlin's song Awakening from the Passion: Awakening album, so I figured I would share some of the lyrics with you:
In our hearts, Lord, in this nation
Awakening
Holy Spirit, we desire
Awakening

For You and You alone
Awake my soul, awake my soul and sing
For the world You love
Your will be done, let Your will be done in me

Like the rising sun that shines
From the darkness comes a light
I hear Your voice and this is my
Awakening
As a pastor of a church, this book came out of an annual event at their church, Awakening: 21 Days of Prayer and Fasting, that they've used to start the year. It has grown to include other church through their website, http://www.awake21.org/ and now through this book to many others. In the back of the book, he has included a 21-day plan for the reading to participate in a season of prayer and fasting. I believe this will be a great resource for personal devotion, but also for use in small groups.

Special thanks to WaterBrook Multnomah and Blogging for Books for providing this complimentary book to read and review. You can purchase the book here on amazon.com.

If you found this review helpful, would you go to the review on Blogging for Books and rate it?

No comments:

Post a Comment