Pages

"Worship is man's full reason for existence. Worship is why we are born and why we are born again." A.W. Tozer

Friday, June 11, 2010

Great Leader, Great Teacher by Gary Bredfeldt

To be honest, I originally had a really hard time getting into this book, Great Leader, Great Teacher by Gary Bredfeldt. Wanting to grow more in my own leadership abilities, I was all excited to read it, but as I began reading I kept finding myself thinking that I'm not the teacher at my church, so what is this saying about my leadership? Am I not actually a leader? I was quite disappointed and ready to put down the book. However, I pressed on and very glad I did, as it turned out to be very eye-opening for me. I was getting the premise wrong. I was thinking that since I wasn't a teacher (which is actually not the truth as I've thought about it) therefore I wasn't a leader, but instead I should have been thinking that as a leader I also need to be a teacher. I was viewing teaching as a stand-alone profession, not as an aspect of my leadership.

I said above that as I thought about it, my thinking that I wasn't a teacher, wasn't true. I can say that now, because even though my profession is not a teacher, I am called to teach in my profession. I am currently the worship leader at my church. My job is to lead worship, but that encompasses a lot more than just singing and strumming my guitar. I need to have a lifestyle of worship outside Sunday morning. My leading is an outpouring of my personal time with God Monday through Saturday. Though it even goes deeper than that. I have to teach the body of Christ that He called me to lead to worship. I also have to teach my worship team. I may not be in a classroom day after day or preaching a sermon from the pulpit but I am called to teach.

I was especially drawn in to the chapter on "The Competencies of the Leader-Teacher." Bredfeldt gives us eight, four on the teaching side and four on the leading side. Though he separates them this way, I believe you could also separate them the opposite way, which makes these eight competencies even that more essential for those that are called to lead.
The Competencies of the Teacher:
• Message that is clear
• Methods that promote learning
• Model the message
• Minister to people
The Competencies of the Leader:
• Establish the team
• Equip the team
• Empower the team
• Encourage the team
As I looked at my position as the worship leader, I realized that all these competencies are exactly what I need to accomplish what God has called me to do in the local church. I've dealt with some of these better than others, but I can say that this book will be a wonderful resource as I continue to grow as a leader and a teacher.

Special thanks to Moody Publishers for providing this complimentary book to read and review.

No comments:

Post a Comment