Pages

"Worship is man's full reason for existence. Worship is why we are born and why we are born again." A.W. Tozer

Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Worship Matters by Bob Kauflin

In books relating to worship and written for worship leaders, Worship Matters by Bob Kauflin is one of the best I have come across. I believe this is a must-read for any worship leader out there and I would even suggest, anyone involved in worship ministry. There is so much great content in this book, that it is going to be one of those books I'm going to have to keep re-reading. You're getting the chance to learn and hear from the heart of someone who has been involved with worship ministry for over 30 years. He breaks this book up into four different parts, four different facets that worship leaders deal with in our position.
Part One: The Leader
Part Two: The Task
Part Three: Healthy Tensions
Part Four: Right Relationship
As you read this book, Bob really conveys that being a worship leader means that we are a worshiper first and foremost. Music is one way that we express our worship. He begins the book by sharing his heart and what he hopes others will gather from this book, then he jumps right into the heart of being a worshiper, which begins with the heart.
"...you believe the joys of leading worship far outweigh the challenges. You wouldn't think of giving it up. You just want to do it better. More effectively. More skillfully. More faithfully. I'm guessing that's why you picked up this book. I hope so because that's why I wrote it. But I have to confess something. I didn't write this book simply to help you be a better worship leader. There's more at stake here. After thirty years of leading worship, I've realized that worship isn't just an opportunity to use my musical gifts. It's more than a heightened emotional experience or a way to make a living. It's way more that what we do on Sunday morning. Worship is about what we love. What we live for. It's about who we are before God."
I love the opening chapters as he deals with our heart, mind, hands and life. This is where being a worshiper lie. But some of the chapters that spoke a lot to me this first time through the book were the last dealing with relationships. Relationship with your church, your team, and your pastor. We are hopefully leading our people to encounter the greatness of God, and part of that is through the relationships we establish.

I would highly encourage others to read this book. Worship leaders for sure, but also worship team members, and anyone wanting to grow in their knowledge of what biblical worship is. You can purchase the book here on amazon.com.

1 comment:

  1. Ryan,

    I couldn't agree more! I'm reading it right now. I'm not very far into it yet, mostly because I end up taking so many notes it takes me forever to read! But, it's so good!

    Barry

    ReplyDelete